Friday, May 2, 2008

May 2, 2008

Safe holding mommy and daddy's hands!!


Hi All – It is time for another mother’s update. It is hard for me to believe how fast the days go by. I guess that is a good thing when we are living away from our home and counting the days until our little girl can go home. This has been a busy week for Scott, I and Calla. Grandma and Grandpa Shaff left on Tuesday and I drove to Salem for the day and visited with my co-workers. I had the opportunity to share pictures of Calla with everyone and left with a huge basket of food and some beautiful preemie baby cloths. Calla is now the best dressed baby in the NICU. Soon she will be giving out fashion advice to the other babies.

Our friends Nicole and Kevin from Corvallis came down on Tuesday night, Thursday night, complements of Grandma and Grandpa Shaff, Scott and I went to see Mama Mia here in Eugene. It was a great evening and we really appreciated the night out. Friday our friend Christine drove down from Portland to meet Calla and she also brought us lunch.

I want to tell you a little about the wonderful people that are caring for Calla while Scott and I out and about enjoying Eugene, taking naps, and missing our daughter. The nurses here are amazing people and we are begining to care for them like family. It is so hard to go about each day going to and from the hospital without Calla. But we do know that she is being cared for by people that really care about here while we are not there. Last night while we were out at the play instead of at the 9pm feeding like usual Calla’s nurse Molly held her during her feeding and cuddled with her. Katy, Calla’s usual daytime nurse always dresses Calla in cute outfits before we arrive in the morning. These women, and the many other men and women that care for our daughter make us feel truly blessed. We can’t yet be her primary caregivers so we are so happy that the people that care for her while we are not there are so wonderful.

I will finish tonight with a poem that my aunt Ginger sent me. It is beautiful and made me cry.


For the First Time Mother
Relax, my dear, your little elf
Is just an amateur herself.
So if your hands, so newly filled
With tasks, seem somewhat less than skilled
Relax, I say. This little pinkling
Doesn't have the slightest inkling
That you are new to baby lore--
She never had a Mom before!!

1 comment:

Nana said...

Hi Calla and Mom and Dad! Aunt Ginger's poem is beautiful and I think everyone will shed a tear. It is so true and one I wish I had heard some 38+ years ago. Three weeks ago tonight you all entered the Eugene hospital and look how far you have come, Calla! You are adorable!! I love you.
Grandma Lynda